Tuesday, August 21, 2012

If at first you don't succeed... OR... Epic FAIL.

I had this idea for some super cool bibs (overalls) to make for the girls.  They were relatively simple, sleek, and modern.  I was pretty stoked about the possibilities.  I was so excited, in fact, that I did a tutorial on my first run, taking tons of pictures along the way.  Then I slipped the newly-made outfit onto Noelle and (drumroll, please)...

FAIL!  

I don't even know if I can begin to list all the things that went wrong with these bibs, fit-wise.  First, the inseam was way too short, so the things road up like mad, giving Noelle a super attractive crotch-V.  The back is elasticized, but the elastic needed to hit higher, so it kept creeping up, further enhancing the short inseam and adding the lovely touch of no-stay straps.  Oh, and shall we mention the floods?  Yeah.  These were meant to be full-length pants.  Ha!  

I thought about trying to fix them, but then I decided that I would just start over, since I was still set on creating a tutorial.  

Try #2 is way cuter.  See?
You probably want to click on that image to see it in its full-size cuteness.

I took pictures for a tutorial for that one, too... but then I had to make some last minute alterations.  I'm pretty sure the third time will be the charm, so prepare yourself for a third pair of bibs... this time, ones that fit perfectly, the first time. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that! It's kind of comforting to know that even experienced sewers can have these problems. Try #2 is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The first was such a miserable failure that it's a good thing my second attempt worked out! I would have started to question my sewing AND measuring skills! Ha! I mean, seriously, how many times should I have to measure a toddler's torso?! I'm excited for the third pair and tutorial!

      Delete
  2. I think it's great to see someone so good at sewing having the issues that us normal people have. I love that you tried again. I usually give up after the first time...Well Done! They are really adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)